The Ontario COVID-19 Child Benefit
The Ontario COVID-19 Child Benefit provides financial support to families with young learners to help with additional costs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Starting on April 26, we will begin issuing payments of:
- $400 for each child or youth up to Grade 12
- $500 for each child or youth up to age 21 with special needs
If you received a payment through the Support for Learners program, you do not need to apply for this additional payment.
If you missed applying for the Support for Learners program, you will have the opportunity to apply. Applications will open from May 3, 2021 to May 17, 2021.
Getting your payment
If you applied for Support for Learners
We will start issuing payments as of April 26, 2021.
We will send payments by e-transfer, direct deposit or cheque, based on what you chose when you applied for the Support for Learners program. Payments will be made individually per child, youth or student to the account of:
- the parent or guardian who applied for their child
- secondary students who are over the age of 18 and applied on their own
If you applied for more than one child, you may not receive all payments at the same time.
If you did not apply for Support for Learners
If you missed applying for the Support for Learners program, you will have the opportunity to apply for the new payment through the Ontario COVID-19 Child Benefit.
Applications will open from May 3, 2021 to May 17, 2021.
For parents or guardians
Only one parent or guardian will be able to apply for each child. The parent or guardian should have custody of the child. This could include a parent or guardian with shared custody.
It is up to the child's parents or guardians to determine who will apply. We are not involved in these decisions and we will not accept more than one application per child.
For secondary students who are over 18
If you are a secondary student over the age of 18, you can apply on your own, or one of your parents or guardians can apply for you.
We are not involved in decisions regarding who will apply and will not accept more than one application.
You can apply if you live in Ontario and are a:
- parent or guardian to a child or youth up to Grade 12
- secondary school student over the age of 18
- parent or guardian to a child or youth that is 21 or younger and has special needs
A child or youth with special needs is any:
- student reported to be receiving special education programs or services by their school board
- child enrolled in licensed child care and reported to be receiving special needs funding or support
- child identified as having a special need
We do not consider students who are identified as being solely gifted to have special needs under this program.
It doesn't matter if a child or youth is enrolled in school or child care.
Children, youth or students are eligible if they:
- attend a publicly funded school
- attend a private school
- attend a First Nation operated or federally operated school
- attend school in-person or online
- are homeschooled
- are enrolled in child care
- are at home
Have Questions or Need Assistance?
Contact my office: